Saturday, November 9, 2013

A Few of My Favorite Things

Ever since I was little I have liked words.  But I also liked bicycles and minibikes, motorcycles and cars.  I like things that go.  I like words that go.  I liked forts and treehouses and have constructed buildings both here and in Mexico.  I like to build.  And I enjoy building ideas and concepts into lessons and sermons, with words.

Words are my friends. Thoughts and ideas keep me company all the day long.  If I can think it, I can see it.  And with enough vision, things may come to pass.

Jesus helps us picture the Kingdom.  He responds to Peter’s great confession of His true identity with a promise:  “Upon this Rock I will build my church.”  Brick by Brick, Board by Board, Jesus is putting up a fantastic structure. 

And it all begins very small, in seed form.  In Zechariah we are told not to “despise the day of small things.”  We all started small, even Jesus.  When an egg is fertilized, you have a zygote.  That’s about the smallest human being there is.  But whether it grows to be the giant Goliath or just the “wee little man” Zaccheus, the increase is phenomenal!

I want to paint word pictures.  I want to plant seeds that exhibit phenomenal growth.  I want to build thoughts and ideas with words and images.  I want to see skeptics become seekers, seekers become disciples, and disciples become leaders who show others the way. 

Things that go, things you build, things that grow.  These are a few of my favorite things.  But where is my passion?  I like asking questions - even when they get me in trouble.

Why can’t I see God?  Why is life so hard?  Why doesn’t happiness last?

No comments: