Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Is Life Hard, or Easy?

I've given this question a lot of thought. It's been difficult to consider.
Though actually the answer is quite simple, even if you have to discover it for yourself.
I'm sure you realize it's both. If not then perhaps you haven't lived long.
The problem is that when we try to make lives easy or just "take it easy" we can end up creating hardships. You know - pay me now or pay me later - delayed gratification resulting in rewards - or procrastination & irresponsibility leading to lost opportunities and privileges.
How do I know about this stuff? Do I sound old or what?
I guess it's kinda like "losing your life to find it." That is, when choosing the hard way now makes for an easier future.
But what about "Come to me if you're heavy-laden and I will give you rest?" That sounds like trading hard for easy. You mean to tell me that just because I believe in Grace and forgiveness I don't have to feel guilty or take responsibility for all the outcomes of my choices?
My wife and I were discussing the anxiety I've been feeling lately and I explained,
"I'm working on letting go of it (the worrying and stress)"
She couldn't help but laugh. How can you "work on" letting go?
Yet Hebrews tells us to "make every effort to enter the rest." (4:10-11)
When you finally admit that you can't do it all and you're not in control - life gets easier.
So what makes life so hard? Trying to get it right, be good, be perfect, in your own strength.
Expectations - of yourself and others, Judging - others and having that same judgment fall back on your own head.
Concerns - worries really - about the future which isn't here yet - or regrets about the past that you can't go back and change.
I know I try really hard (read "am obsessed with") not repeating my past mistakes - I really want to learn from them and avoid the pain next time.
But let's face it; even though there are a plethora of "legitimate difficulties" in life (finances, illnesses, relationships, etc.) still our individual suffering is largely a result of the gap between what we were expecting and what we got.
It's not in the Beattitudes but maybe somewhere it should be written:
"Blessed are they that don't expect too much out of life (or take themselves too seriously) for they shall not be too terribly disappointed!"
Yes, Life is hard, but as Scott Peck has observed: "As soon as we realize that life is difficult, we find that it becomes a bit less difficult."
Pleasure and pain, effort and rest, achievement and failure, seem to eventually come into balance. The challenge is to keep our perspective, when life is easy, or when it's hard.
I admit it's easy to let life become hard. And it can be hard to take life easy.
But I'm attempting to move towards acceptance of all that comes from God's hand. After all, He is in control and I'm not. Life is a gift. Give thanks in all circumstances. This is our choice and this is "man's final, ultimate, freedom." (Viktor Frankl)

No comments: