Sunday, September 23, 2007

The Back side of Nowhere

Don't know where the back side of nowhere is but sometime I might like to go there . . .
Rode my bike the other day, just to say i still remember how
haven't found exactly what I'm looking for but I don't give up easily
home with the boys is nice so I don't miss any of their growin up - still do anyway
Home with my wife is special cuz somebody loves me
Daughters love me too - but they have to cuz I'm their Dad, it's still special
Son number one comes home atimes and that's cool too.
Sad to think he was not so long ago one of the little guys -
I know he was and I could tell you a few things about it -
but mostly it's just happened and over and kind of gone now - the past
There's plenty more where that came from - bein waked up by a two year old - almost three
Making breakfast and everyone gettin up and I ain't quite ready - nobody's fault but mine
We had family worship this morning around the table
There they was and there we all was and then before you know it - poof!
They was gone and we was awashin up the dishes and then startin their schoolin
So here I am and it's a great place to be but they's all asleep so I'd best be gettin off to bed myself. That little guy - less than three feet tall - he's right persistent in the mornings:
"Dad, I'm ready to eat something."
"Dad, I need a drink of water."
"Dad, I'm ready to play, can Ben get up and play with me?"
"Dad, I'm finished sleeping. I don't want to lay back down."
"Dad, I'm ready to get dressed."
And if he happens to sleep in (past 7 a.m.) his brother, the tall one, almost forty inches now, is sure to get up and start his day of play adventures, gathering weapons and building castles or searching for dragons. And when he gets lonely in the first few minutes of playing alone he'll want me or Ben or Haddon to join him. Because adventures are always more fun when you can call some companions in on it.
"But there can be no adventure if we despair of reaching our destination." - Stanley Hauerwas
I know I'll get there. I'm sure I'll make it. I've got my friends and family to journey with me. Sooner or later we'll all arrive safely home.

No comments: