Thursday, January 17, 2008

Graceland- I Wanna Go There!

No more keepin score and keepin track
of who's worthy and who's deservin and why folks oughta treat me a certain way
I just wanna be free from all that strivin to live upta everyone's expectations so
I can feel good about myself
Nothin to prove and nothin to lose
That sounds like freedom to me - I wanna go there
Why don't people really want grace?
Can't stand thinkin that those that's rightly beneath me
gonna get sumthin fer nuthin
They didn't earn it - haven't worked half as hard as I have
tryin to be a decent person, tryin to do good, be responsible
All those mistakes of others - forgiven and forgotten?
And all my best efforts don't count fer nuthin?
That's too scary - too much of a risk
sides all that, what would I have if not all these old filthy rags?
it ain't much but it's all I got and it's surely at least my own
Kinda like a man on the trapeze - I gots ta let go afore I can rightly take hold
I gotta turn loose of this identity - who I think I am
WhO I really want others to see when I put forth my image
So's they can All help affirm and reinforce how I'd like to see myself
Yeah i think it's too risky - like jumpin offa cliff or somethin
Who's there to catch me but God Hisself - and I reckon He's too busy
or just don't care all that much - even though he said he sent
Jesus to end this whole mess - us judgin one another and bein judged ourselves
and mostly just not bein free - cuz we always gotta toe the line
and make sure we done good and look good too in order to feel okay
What would hap[pen anyhow if folks really got aholda this Grace:
You don't deserve it and nuthin you can do to earn it
Just gotta come to the end of yourself
Jump off that cliff - He'll catch you
Well even if he don't - what else you gonna do?
There ain't no where else to turn and noplace to go
So let go of the bar of that old man - all propped up by human efforts
but just about as fragile a house of cards as was ever built
Take hold of the hope - Christ in You - that's glory
Put him on - it's a stretch - no a leap - into the dark?
You may crash to peices on the rocks below
but that's better than standin here - You will be free
If the Son sets you free . . . and that's the Truth
not a powerful illusion - delusion of your own making - of my making
Culture has made us, society makes us - self-made men and women
but what are we after all - compared to what we might be, what could be?
I can fly! It's not just happy thoughts or magic fairy dust or wishful thinking
I was made to soar on Eagle's Wings - free from the limits of my own efforts
borne on the wind and carried along - Grace is free and it frees us
But do we want it? Can we leave behind the safety of all we're holding
onto? Leave the cliff and leap into the arms of the A;mighty?
I hope I have the guts to let go and take hold and free fall
even if I crash and burn
Rack, Shack & Benny said "even if our God does not save us from the fiery furnace - we will not bow down" and Job says "Though He slay me, yet will I praise Him." Amen

No comments: